Saturday, February 20, 2010

Question 4 U

Tomorrow just happens to be my 2 year blogiversary. This blog is all about what floats my boat. I'm very aware that what I would buy isn't necessarily what everyone else would buy. I want you to know that I don't buy a lot of the stuff that I post, however if I was sitting a little prettier, I probably would. I also want you to know that I do not surf the internet looking for things to post. I post what makes me happy that day. If nothing makes me happy, no post. If I'm too busy to notice what's going on around me, no post. But today I want to hear about what floats your boat. I want to hear about your splurge/skimp list. I'm going to list 10 items that I skimp on and 10 items that I splurge on. I want you to do the same. You can either e-mail me phoebeab@msn.com or leave it in the comments. The items can be specific, but I'm going to leave mine vague. As incentive, I will randomly draw names of those who participate and knit them something spiffy. Just so you know, I'm giving myself 6 months to finish it. (I have a lot to knit these days and I don't want to feel rushed) You have until next Saturday at midnight, a whole week!
SKIMP
1. Any maintenance for myself (we're talking haircuts/dyes, nails, tanning, pedicures, etc.) I get my haircut twice a year and that's it for me, the rest is non-existent
2. Clothes for myself or PBTB(this used to be somewhat of a splurge, but we've transferred that energy to our kids)
3. Fast food or junk food (luckily PBTB and I have no interest in potato chips and soda and the only fast food we eat is pizza)
4. Holidays for PBTB and I (holidays are for the kids, right?....at times we just don't do anything for each other)
5. Jewelry/Flowers....PBTB knows I would much prefer fresh cut flowers to those from the shop and costume jewelry is all I can justify. I don't like it long enough to pay much for it.
6. Movies (We go to the movie theatre once a year and it's usually for "W", when we do rent we usually get a free rental. We prefer watching movies at home)
7. Cable TV (PBTB and I have both decided we will never pay to get cable or satellite)
8. Pets (we used to buy lots of toys and expensive food, but now we have kids:)
9. Travel (I love to travel, but usually only go places we can drive, but, at least we go)
10. Gadgets and Cars (PBTB and I are not the techy type, never have the latest phones, TVs, etc and recently not the best cars)
SPLURGE
1. Activities for the family (quality time is my love language, so I always seem to justify it, swimming, museums, any and all)
2. Crafts for myself (I've spent ungodly amounts on yarn and dabble in everything I can think of, PBTB has spent even more on tools for his furniture making)
3. Birthday parties FOR KIDS and holidays, including toys (one of my favorites)
4. Halloween costumes (I usually know what we're going to be in January and spend more making the costumes than I would have buying them, oops)
5. Gourmet candy or pastries (not junk food right? has the word "gourmet" in the title :)
6. Clothes for my kids (I'm kind of a fashion junkie in my own little world. With less money, I'd rather splurge on my kids than myself)
7. Second hand items (I love DI and KSL.com) If I want something and can't afford it, this is where I head
8. Home improvement items (when we have a house, that is.......inside/outside, you name it)
9. Furniture (We usually buy items that we really like and keep it forever, or PBTB builds it, but materials end up costing quite a bit)
10. Name brand sundries and some food items (I like to buy good diapers, nice make-up, nice shampoo/conditioner)

No comments: