Thursday, September 24, 2009

Meatloaf

I love making meatloaf, I've never made the same one twice. (PBTB hates it, but I don't care to make the same thing twice. I guess the challenge is gone.) You can stick with these basic ingredients and then add or subtract whatever. And then there's the glaze, fun to experiment with.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 egg
1 onion, chopped (I don't like onions, so I skip this ingredient)
1 cup milk
1 cup dried bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
Some things I've tried. Minced Garlic 2 or 3 cloves, fresh grated parmesan cheese 1/4 C, grated carrots (not together, necessarily)......the sky is the limit.
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk and bread OR cracker crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5x9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. (I just like to form it into a loaf on some foil and fold up the edges, no dishes :)
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.

For the glaze you can stick with catsup 1/3 C or you can add brown sugar 2 Tb, mixing in some mustard is really good 2 Tb. You could try steak sauce. I've even just laid some strips of bacon across the top.

2 comments:

lindsay Roscoe said...

I have the BEST meatloaf recipe of all!

Crystal said...

you should try using stovetop instead of plain bread crumbs! YUMMY!