Monday, March 17, 2008

Lucky's Lucky Corned Beef & Cabbage

I have never actually celebrated St. Patrick's Day other than to wear a little green to prevent getting pinched. This year, some friends of ours invited us over for corned beef and boiled cabbage, a traditional meal for them on St. Patty's Day. I am so excited. I love celebrating holidays, I don't know why this one has skipped my attention in the past. I found this recipe online, it looked pretty easy and it got at least one good review. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.



INGREDIENTS:
1 (3 pound) corned beef brisket
with spice packet
1 head cabbage, cored and
coarsely chopped
6 medium potatoes, peeled and
cubed
1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger Irish
whiskey
DIRECTIONS:
1.Place the beef brisket and contents of the spice packet into a pot and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat for about 2 hours. Add the cabbage and potatoes, and simmer over low heat for 2 more hours. Stir in the whiskey when it is almost done. Check the water level occasionally and replace as needed.

1 comment:

Megan said...

hey, i've made corned beef and cabbage before. pretty much that exact recipe, but you know, I don't keep Irish whiskey on hand, so none of that.
It's good, but I had sushi for dinner (you know the seaweed makes your breast milk green!)
Happy SPD.